Thursday 31 December 2009

Marking Time

It seems inevitable now, that after three years decently holding back we're going to start calling the next decade the Teenies or Teens.
I don't like it but I imagine people who lived through the Roaring Twenties and Swinging Sixties and didn't do much of either have similar feelings about those labels. I can't control it so I'll just have to deal with it, perhaps pointlessly moaning on a 'blog about it.

Obviously, we need labels because names are simpler than things, you know, what with things being so big and full of stuff (even the very small things). It's akin to our desire to find patterns behind events. Heads MUST come up next, it's been tails three times, two things have gone wrong for me, I'm going to have a BAD day. Actually, that last one often works because people end up wandering around with their bad day filters on, seeking out things to be negative about and often generating them by dealing with them like that.

So, when we come to the end of the packages of time we give weight to, months, years, decades we need some labels to pack them up with. A few good things happened to me this year and a few bad ones too. I've had a good year, and a good decade, and I'm going to get up tomorrow and have another.
I hope you do too.

No comments: